Every winter, some unlucky homeowners in the cold northeast face a big problem: frozen pipes. As the weather gets colder, it’s important that you’re ready to protect your home’s plumbing and pipes. Solution Based Plumbing, Heating, and A/C, the expert plumber Lansdale PA relies on, has some information to help you prepare your home and pipes to survive the cold.
Polar Pipe Problems
Pipes that are located outside, in exterior walls, or in exceptionally cold areas of your home are most at risk of freezing. Water expands when it freezes, so frozen water inside a pipe can cause the pipe to burst from the pressure. This can cause flooding and expensive damage – thousands of dollars’ worth. To try and avoid a plumbing catastrophe in your home, we’ve got some tips you can put into practice to keep your pipes safe.
Protect Your Pipes This Winter
- Decide on a minimum temperature to set your thermostat, even if you are leaving the house. If the temperature falls too low, it can put your pipes in danger of freezing. Experts recommend 50° as the lowest temperature.
- Turn off water valves to any exterior water sources, such as garden hoses, not in use during colder months. Make sure these pipes are fully drained.
- Seal up any cracks or holes in your home’s exterior to keep the cold air at bay.
- Allow a faucet to drip slowly if you have a serious concern about a pipe freezing, especially if you are going on an extended trip. Keeping the water flowing may help to prevent it from turning to ice.
- Add extra insulation to walls and pipes in under-insulated or unheated areas of your home. Pipes can be wrapped with material like fiberglass insulation tape, or covered with form-fitting pipe sleeves. If you need help insulating your pipes, consider calling a professional.
Following these simple suggestions might make all the difference for your pipes this winter.
If You Need an Expert…
Your best bet to avoid costly issues from frozen pipes is to call the plumber Lansdale PA residents can rely on for safe suggestions and fair estimates. The plumbing and HVAC experts at Solution Based Plumbing, Heating, and A/C have the winter solutions you need to keep your pipes and heating units in working order.